8.21.2005

Born in the Year of My Sister...

So I finally met this girl Julie whom Steve has been talking about for a few weeks now. I had known she was seventeen since the day I heard about her. That fact bothered me then and it bothers me even more now...

Steve was right. She is a really great girl. Eccentric, but not annoying. Caring, but not codependent. If I were able last night to not be bothered by a three year age gap, I wouldn't be writing this now...

But I wasn't, and I am.

Like I said, Steve was right. I had never doubted that this girl was as cool as he said, it was just the fact that he was hanging out with a girl my sister's age that made me raise an eyebrow or two (not three, for this would be hard). However, the problem, I found, was not with him or with her, but with me. The gap in experience during the three years between fourteen and seventeen years old is enormous. The gap between seventeen and twenty is also large, but not nearly as overwhelming. I was unconsciously coming to grips with this very concept last night while I was being awkwardly creepy around them (as well as Julie's very nice friend, Maya).

We are at an age now where age is not nearly the factor it was even in our recent past... Nonetheless, last night was strange for me. Again, it was most likely entirely my fault because I was not only feeling the aforementioned "weirded out" feelings, but I had also had a very, very long day and was extremely tired.

After festivities ended at my house, we took an unnecessary trip to Julie's house for darts and more hanging out. The night should have been over, but for some reason, it continued there for over an hour more. I am glad to have met this girl because she is obviously wonderful and has a lot to offer. Unfortunately though, while the gap between seventeen and twenty is not as huge as seventeen and fourteen, it is large enough to require me to be writing about it.

...

I hope she enjoys the movies I lent her. I also hope I won't be too awkward to get them back.

Now Playing: Jam - "Girl on the Phone"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home